Module 1 - Grieving before the loss
Chapter 4: Conversations at the end of life
- Talking with the dying person can be difficult.
- Think about what you would like to say and think about what is realistic to expect given your history.
- Find out how much information the person wants about their illness.
- Consider whether withholding information that a person is dying is a good decision. Keeping secrets can increase anxiety.
- Help someone with delirium by providing a calm environment.
- There will probably be unfinished business; find a way to say what matters most.