Chapter 3: Help with mobility and movement
Moving someone from their back onto their side
Below are the steps for moving the person who is ill from their back to their side.
Before you begin, place a pillow under the person’s head and have pillows ready to place under their legs and arms, and behind their back. Click the arrows to read the steps.
1. If the person is going to be turned onto their right side, take their left arm, bend it gently at the elbow, and place it over their stomach.
2. Bend their left leg at the knee and place a pillow between the person's legs.
3. Place one of your hands behind the person’s buttocks and the other underneath the shoulder.
4. Roll the person in the direction of your helper, and have the helper hold the person in place.
5. Once the helper is holding the person, place your hands under the person’s buttocks to move the body back toward the centre of the bed.
Once you have completed the turn, you may need to pull their bottom shoulder slightly forward if it looks uncomfortable. This will place person into more of a fetal position rather than a completely straight position.
Arrange the pillows comfortably between the person’s shoulder and head, and between their legs.
When you return the person to their back later, place a pillow under their head and one under each shoulder, positioned to make them as comfortable as possible.
Watch the video for a demonstration and tips on turning someone in bed.