If I had my time back, I would have spent more time preparing myself – mentally, emotionally – and I would have asked for more help. I would done some things differently.
Caregiving can be a very rewarding experience for both a caregiver and the person you are caring for. It can also be challenging and exhausting as you take on this new role and as care needs change. Some important first steps are understanding what is involved in providing care in the home and ensuring that both you and the person you are caring for are comfortable and that you can take on this role.
This module will help you consider the many factors of caregiving in the home and provide suggestions and ideas to help prepare for caregiving or to consider if you are already caregiving, including:
- Ideas to help you get and stay organized.
- Information on who may be a part of your healthcare team.
- Resources that may be available to help you.
- How to improve the safety and comfort of the home for you and the person receiving care.
- How to stay involved in caregiving if you are at a distance.